To help make you trip down the river as enjoyable and safe as possible, we have compiled some tips for you:
- WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ARTICLES. Do not tempt thieves. Do not leave valuables in view.
- TENNIS SHOES, AQUA-SHOES, SANDALS or other footwear are needed to protect against sharp objects, cuts, scrapes, bruises and the rocky river bottom while walking to and from entry/exit points for tubing rope is provided to tie them to your tube
- SUN BLOCK LOTION or SUN SCREEN should be applied both BEFORE and DURING each float trip or any time you are in the sun for extended periods. It’s a good idea to bring a large white T-shirt and put on if you begin to sunburn.
- A CAP, HAT or VISOR and SUNGLASSES will help shield your face, eyes and head from the rays of the sun.
- CHILDREN should be at least five (5) years old or older and MUST be accompanied by an adult for tubing on the river. Life jackets / vests are recommended for everyone and are provided at no charge with your tube rental. There are NO LIFE GUARDS ON DUTY, you will be on your own, use caution, think safety first! Parents & Guardians – you are responsible for your children…a waiver will be required for each tuber.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER while tubing on the Pembina River to help prevent dehydration.
- DO NOT LITTER! Dispose of all trash in garbage cans provided at entrance/ exit and along the route. Dump all trash in designated receptacles. Help keep our rivers, parks and the Pembina beautiful. Help everyone enjoy Pembina River.
- GLASS CONTAINERS or STYROFOAM COOLERS are NOT RECOMMENDED on the Pembina River
- PARK ONLY in designated areas, cars in undesignated areas may be towed at the owners expense.
- SECURE YOUR CAR KEYS, house keys, or any other keys on the River, keys don’t float… Locksmiths are expensive! We also have Key Security for your Convenience.
- DO NOT TAKE ANY VALUABLES ON THE RIVER as most items sink and are never found; place your cell phones, jewelry and other valuables in a safe place! Phones don’t float and do not work very well, if at all, after they have been submerged under water. Many people have lost Wedding rings and other types of rings because fingers tend to shrink after being in the water for awhile, allowing ring(s) to slip off fingers into the river, never to be found again.
- ATTACH & SECURE PRESCRIPTION GLASSES, EYEWEAR and SUNGLASSES to your face, head or body while tubing. Anyone wearing glasses should have a headband, neckband or float bobber of some sort, preferably the floating type that attaches to each arm of your glasses to prevent your eyeglasses from falling off your face and sinking into the river should you flip your tube over. We suggest you bring your own Float Bobber with you for your eyeglasses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can we park a vehicle at the drop off, float down the river and get a ride back with you?
A: Yes! With our Pre-Paid Shuttle Service, we pick you up at the Pembina River Provincial Park Day Use Area and return you to our LOCATION when you have completed your float. We not own the river but do have services at our business to make your day more enjoyable and care free.
Q: Is the River still able to Float? Will we have to walk?
A: You can follow the link to the Alberta Basin River Height Table. We use this as well to judge the time it takes on average. Once we are AFTER 2 1/2 hours, you can get stuck on rocks and have to move your tube. AFTER 3 1/2 hours you will get stuck on rocks quite often. This also depends on how well you can navigate the river flows.
Q: Do we have to use your services or pay for parking?
A: No. You can choose to use 2 vehicles and do everything yourself. We only suggest that you leave your vehicle keys with us because WE WILL NOT LOSE THEM in the river and it only costs $5.00 if you do NOT use our services. Using our shuttle service is only a suggestion as well. There is no charge to park you car in our parking lot.
Q: Why do you NOT have your Waivers on the website?
A: Everything is explained at the WAIVER BOOTH. When we had the waivers on the website, people were only printing them off, came to the purchase booth with no knowledge of what they signed or where to get out of the river. We then had to make everyone go back to the WAIVER BOOTH to complete anyway.
Q: Can we bring Alcohol?
A: NEVER. It is not allowed anywhere along the route. All Areas Are Public and subject to laws and fines. Just like you were in Walmart parking lot or store.
Q: Why do you stop renting tubes so early?
A: The river is in a gorge and after a certain time in the day it gets cold on the river and the float times also are considered.
Q: Is it safe for children to come & what size of lifejacket do they need?
A: If the river is unsafe, we are not open and operating. We also post on our Home Page our recommendations for age of children. If there is no recommendation, there are no restrictions and the river is safe. Children are able to come and we do have cooler tubes for children that has a cushioned bottom so they do not hit the rocks. All children under 12 must be supervised. The size of lifejacket is totally dependent on the size of the child and we have most sizes.
Q: Is there an area where we can have a picnic?
A: Yes. We have designated areas for picnics and suggest you do not take your picnic on the river. Snacks are ok on the river because they are easy to carry. Just remember to take out what you take in. You can also picnic at the Pembina River Provincial Park Day Use Area. You can also bring your own portable barbecues for something hot. We have NO areas where you can have a fire.
Q: Do we need to reserve?
A: Reservations are not available from Mid June to September Long Weekend and are required only after September Long Weekend.
Q: Can I bring my pet & can they come on the bus?
A: Yes. Your pet will be with you on the river and on the bus. You must have your pet on a leash. We DO NOT babysit dogs and police are called if an animal is left in the vehicle.
Q: How many people can fit on a tube?
A: One Person – One Tube. Tube ties are attached to the tubes for you to go in groups. As the river slows though – the larger the group, the slower the float. We recommend no more than 2 people attached together when the river is past 3 hours.
Q: I have my own floatation device and only need to fill it up. Can I do that there?
A: Yes you can. $1.00 per item to fill
Q: What happens if my tube pops?
A: You have to walk the rest of the way. There are small trails that you can exit from, but you need to find them and walk to the nearest roads.
Q: Do I have to wear the Lifejacket provided?
A: We provide Lifejackets, Please wear them. They are included in the pricing of tube rentals and you must take them with you.
Q: Will I get wet?
A: YES. You are in a river that has water. Getting wet is a requirement.
Q: Do you have Camping Facilities?
A: NO. You can go to our Around the Pembina for that information.